Hultafors Ågelsjön mini Hatchet
Hults Bruk was originally founded in 1697 in the Hult Valley in southeastern Sweden. By 1870, axes had become a major part of Hults Bruk's production. The then owner - an ironmaster names Ekelund - bought two new axe forging machines to meet demand. Today, Hults Bruk is a combination of the new and the old but the basic culture has not changed over the years. The striving of each blacksmith to always do their best while relying on a time honoured tradition has resulted in Hultafors axes being famous throughour the world.
The premium range reflects the rich history and traditions of Hults Bruk that has been built over 300 years of continuous operation. It takes many, many blows with a hammer to produce the axe’s final shape. This method is costly, but it increases the density of the steel, thereby also improving the axe’s durability compared to those produced with less workmanship. There are very few manufacturers left in the world with craftsmen who still command this technique. Forged from top quality Swedish axe steel - with carefully attached handles that are made from selected and oiled prime hickory heartwood - each axehead has been carefully heat treated to obtain an optimal hardness of 58-59 HRC. The edge has been ground by hand and goes through several stages of honing and stropping to obtain a razor sharp edge. These axes all come with a leather sheath included. If used and cared for correctly, these axes will last for generations.
Ågelsjön is a small hatchet, suitable for hiking in the mountains or in the woods. The hatchet is easy to use and suitable for multiple tasks around the camp site, such as processing fire wood and shelter building. Thanks to its short handle and light weight, it is easy to pack in your backpack or attach to your belt. This hatchet has become a favourite among those who enjoy spending time around the camp fire.
Hand forged in Hults Bruk, Sweden, 0.5Kg head, 9''/23.5cm hickory handle, leather sheath.
The axe is named after the nearby lake Ågelsjön, where the water needed to run the waterwheel for the forge was once taken.